Thursday, March 15, 2007

I spend all day slaving over a hot stove...

and this is what I get...

I'm slowly getting there with the cooking. I figured if I could get as much as possible done today, then it would leave Saturday free to just do the last minute things, which I can really only make a few hours beforehand, like the Chocolate Pots, mulled wine and sorbetto.
So after several hours in the kitchen, the checklist looks a bit like this

Yoghurt panna cotta

Scented Plums

Chocolate and Rose Marquis

Grapefruit and Raspberry Sorbet

Kulfi

Orange Syrup

Strawberry Streuselkuchen

Spiced Chocolate Pots

Sorbetto of basil, lemon and mascarpone

Crema Catalana

They're still works in progress in some way...it doesn't really all come together until they're turned out, plated and garnished, but heres a sneak peak of how its all looking:

One of my all-time favourite desserts, Kulfi, is currently sitting patiently in the freezer (right), waiting to be covered in a tart orange syrup and pistachios, and devoured.
I'm writing this while my crema catalana is in the oven, so I'll have to wait to take some photos of the finished product, but this (left) is how it starts its life- just a pile of cream, citrus and spices. I'm not exactly sure how we're going to fit everything in the meantime, because as you can see, our fridge is chock-a-block full of chocolate marquis, panna cotta, plums, orange and booze.
OK....the oven just went off, so my cremas catalanas are ready to be taken out. Fingers crossed they've turned out...its been a while since I've made them. After they're safely stocked in the fridge, I'll make a start on the Strawberry streuselkuchen so with any luck there might be another update later tonight. Til then....

No comments: